Texas Hold’em has become the world’s go-to choice when it comes down to playing poker, as the variant has become highly popular with bettors who use an online casino and those who head to the physical brick-and-mortar establishments to enjoy the game.
The game experienced a surge in popularity due to its coverage in the entertainment sphere, whilst many other gamblers have adopted the game as one of their favourites because it is relatively easy to understand, learn and follow compared to some of the other classic poker variants that are available to choose from.
This dedicated article on TheRockiesCasino.ca will provide bettors with an insight into the game and will aim to teach readers all about the history, the rules that need to be known, as well as where the game can be played, thus comprehensively providing everyone with as much detail and knowledge as possible to ensure they can enjoy a game of Texas Hold’em in the best possible way!
History of Texas Hold’em
The history of the game is something that has been debated for a while, although there is a general agreement about where the game was born: Texas, unsurprisingly given its name. It is thought the game originated in the town of Robstown in the early 1900s, although it did not come into the public eye until the 1960s when the poker game was finally launched as a variant in Las Vegas back in 1967.
Indeed, this will have helped to launch the global appeal that the game has, whilst the words of Crandell Addington – who was a key contributor to the Vegas poker scene – as he described the game as a “thinking man’s game”. This made many want to see if they could adopt the right strategy to play the game, rather than having wishful luck on their side.
Texas Hold’em Rules
As mentioned, there is not a lot to be too worried about when thinking “how to play Texas Hold’em” as the rules of this game are relatively simple compared to many of the other poker variants that can be found at various online casinos and in traditional casino establishments such as those in Las Vegas or across Canada.
Texas Hold’em rules are straightforward and consist of the following key features:
- Players will be dealt a total of two cards that they will only know; the other players and the dealer in the game will be unaware of what has been provided to each of the individuals around the table.
- A total of five community cards will be dealt face-up in the middle of the table to form the ‘board’.
- Each of these cards will then be used in tandem with the two cards that have already been dealt, with bettors being required to try and form the best five-card poker hand possible with what they have available to them.
- Any of the seven cards that can be seen (the five community and the two private) can be used to make the best possible five-card hand, with bettors not being required to use their private cards if they do not wish to.
A variety of different bets will need to be placed throughout the game including:
- Blinds – small blind will be placed by the first player, with everyone following having to place a big blind before being provided with their two cards.
- Once they have been dealt, players can place a new bet down by ‘calling’ or they can ‘hold’/‘call’ if they want to see another community card be laid without increasing the stakes.
- Additionally, if they do not like the cards that have been dealt, they can ‘fold’ at any point in the game on their turn.
It should be noted that there are a number of variations to the game in regards to the prize pots on offer, with the following available:
- Limit Texas Hold’em: There is a pre-determined betting limit on each round of betting.
- No Limit Texas Hold’em: A player can bet any amount, up to all of their chips.
- Pot Limit Texas Hold’em: A player can bet any amount, up to the size of the pot.
- Mixed Texas Hold’em: The game switches between rounds of Limit Texas Hold’em and No Limit Texas Hold’em.
Where to play Texas Hold’em?
Once you have learned Texas Hold’em rules that are avialable, bettors will be able to head to almost any online casino platform to play the game for real, whilst there are some that will allow for free versions to be played.
We strongly suggest checking out the ones that are listed on our site, though, as these will provide the best gaming experiences possible.
Texas Hold’em is one of the most popular forms of poker to play and due to its popularity, it is available almost everywhere to play.
Our dedicated post has been provided to give you all the information that you need to know in order to enjoy a positive experience and we hope you do when you play the game!